Thursday, January 29, 2009

Surrender at Vicksburg!!!

American Citizens,

Vicksburg, in Mississippi has been captured!

I was in the White House analyzing a map to locate Grant’s whereabouts. Mr. Well’s received a telegram from Admiral Porter and quickly gave me the message. It was astounding. I hugged Well’s and exclaimed:

“What can we do for the Secretary of the Navy for this glorious intelligence? He is always giving us good news. I cannot in words tell you of my joy over this result. It is great, Mr. Welles! It is great!”

General Ulysses S Grant directed 20,000 Union troops to Vicksburg. Along the way, they seized the Mississippi capital at Jackson. On May 22, 1863, Grant’s troops surrounded Gen John Pemberton Confederate troops. Gen Pemberton surrendered July 4th 1863. A decisive win for the Union, Confederates have no choice but to end the war here and now. The Union is now in possession of Mississippi from Cairo to the Gulf.

“The Father of Waters again goes unvexed to the sea.”

~President Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln by Benjamin P. Thomas p. 409,
The Civil War Battlefield Guide pg 135
American Journey pg 437

3 comments:

  1. It was good of General Grant to ignore my and McPherson's advice to fall back to Memphis. I see victory within reach, President Lincoln. It will not be long before we are victorious.

    -W.T. Sherman, Major-General

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on another victory! I hope we continue winning battles until we are able to end this war.

    ReplyDelete