Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Battle of Chancellorsville

Fellow Citizens of the United States,

I am depressed to say that after the Battle of Fredericksburg, Union forces faced another defeat at the Battle of Chancellorsville. I assigned Hooker to command the Army of Potomac. I previously wrote him a letter saying that our goal is to capture Lee. Although Union forces under Hooker surpassed Confederate troops 2:1, (130,000: 60,000) Confederate troops (Army of Northern Virginia) led by Stonewall and Lee defeated Union Forces in the beginning of May 1863. I ordered the Union Army of Potomac to capture Lee; however Hooker disappointed me again. I received a letter from him during the battle. It was said as follows:

We have had a desperate fight yesterday & today which has resulted in no success to us having lost a position of two lines which had been selected for our defence.

It is now 1.30 & there is still some firing of artillery. We may have another turn at it this P. M. I do not despair of success. If Sedgwick could have gotten up there could have been but one result. As it is impossible for me to know the exact position of Sedgwick as regards his ability to advance & take part in the engagement, I cannot tell when it will End.

We will endeavor to do our best. My troops are in good spirits,

We have fought desperately today. No General ever Commanded a more devoted army,

Jos Hooker

I met him at Falmouth on May 7th after the battle. I am replacing Hooker with George Gordon Meade. He, I pray, will be more reliable.
This is not the end of the war my fellow Americans. The Union will prevail. These setbacks in battles have not hindered the Union cause. Keep strong and may God be with us all.

~Abe

American Journey pg 434
The Civil War Battlefield Guide pg 108, Editor Frances H. Kennedy
http://www.cincinnaticwrt.org/data/Summaries_recent%20talks/Billings_Lincoln%20at%20the%20Civil%20War%20Battlefields.html
http://www.historynet.com/battle-of-chancellorsville-day-one.htm
http://www.usa-civil-war.com/Chancellorsville/chancellor_8.html

5 comments:

  1. I am sure you see the determination of our side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe Meade may prove to be more competent than Hooker. General Lee, I think that your men were shooting blindly just as they did when they shot General Jackson. Maybe we should just leave you be and your men will kill each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that, at no fault of your own, a series of incapable generals have plagued the Union Army to its extreme detriment. Supplement to this, the leadership of my General Lee has been far superior, and I hope that this tide will continue farther out into the mar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This battle is only one loss; the death of Jackson will help us in the future. I have confidence in your ability to lead us to the inevitable triumph of the Union.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This battle showed the problems in our army's leadership. Hopefully the change in command will change our luck in this war.

    ReplyDelete