Monday, January 26, 2009

Freedom!! The Emancipation begins!

January 1, 1863

My fellow countrymen,

Although I expressed in my Inaugural speech that I will not intervene with slavery where it already exists, the time has come. After victory from the Battle of Antietam, I feel that I owe God that I take steps toward emancipation. I am supported by Congress, Union soldiers, and northern civilians to go forth with this act. Congress first ordered the Confiscation Act which called for southern land and the emancipation of their slaves.

I feel it is in the right of the American citizen to know the importance of this emancipation:

The freedom of slaves will give the United States further moral support from other nations especially Britain.This proclamation will also impair the Confederacy and will hopefully bring an end to the war.

“Now, therefore I, Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States, by virtue of the power in me vested as Commander-in-Chief, of the Army and Navy of the United States …That on the first day of January, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, all persons held as slaves within any State or designated part of a State, the people whereof shall then be in rebellion against the United States, shall be then, thenceforward, and forever free…”

Slavery in the border states will, however, remain in order to keep those states neutral. I also declare that our freed slaves can join the Army and Navy. This, I beleive can only invigorate the Union cause “… giving freedom to the slave, we assure freedom to the free.”

“Done at the City of Washington, this first day of January, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty three, and of the Independence of the United States of America the eighty-seventh.”

~President Abraham Lincoln

American Journey pg 431 & 432
http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/featured_documents/emancipation_proclamation/
http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/featured_documents/emancipation_proclamation/transcript.html

7 comments:

  1. I cannot say that I am in agreement with what you have done, President Lincoln. I see nothing wrong with the institution of slavery. My main purpose for serving in this war was to uphold the Union and reunite this country. It was not to free the slaves of the South.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you President Lincoln for taking the steps necessary to end this war. May all of America be and continue to remain free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work President Lincoln, with the freed slaves we can strengthen our Union's army and defeat the Confederates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lincoln you have created a mess of things. What are you really trying to accomplish?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for having the courage to do what is morally right, in spite of the many dissenting opinions of even those that support you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on making a fine decision, Mr. President! I am glad that my advice to you has become practically a reality, although I do not dare to presume that I was the sole influence in your decision. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you really think your proclamation will phase us? All you have done is shown the world what a hypocrite you are! We will not let this go so easily.

    ReplyDelete